Department of Social Work
Objectives of Course:
· To impart and organize scientific training /teaching in social work to those desirous of making a career in the field of social work, social welfare, human resource management community development and medical & psychiatric setting
· To organize social research and to train students in the methods of social research to promote the growth of social work profession
· To offer such training facilities as are necessary to develop the basic knowledge, skills, techniques and attitudes in students to work, social welfare with individuals, groups and community.
Expected outcomes of M.S.W course:
Our curriculum is well planned in such way that a student is prepared to become a professional social worker. This preparation is done in a systematic and progressive manner. MSW (Master of Social Work) course consist of two years duration with annual examination pattern. The medium of instruction is English. At MSW first year generic courses like social problems, history and philosophy of social work, sociology, economics, statistics, social legislation etc. are taught, At MSW second year three specialization are offered, out of which student has to opt for one of the specialization viz
· Human Resource Management and Labor Welfare
· Urban and rural community development and
· Medical and psychiatric social work.
All those students who complete MSW first year are admitted to second year according to the specialization opted by them. The entire course consists of 28 theory papers of 100 marks each and out of which 30 marks are allotted for internal evaluation by concerned faculty member. Internal assessment is conducted based on candidate’s overall performance like attendance assignments, class participation etc. since 1996 MSW course is converted in to semester pattern of examination, according to University’s new norms, having four semesters.
With Regard to skill development of students department organizes various guest lectures, seminars, workshop etc. to provide conclusive environment for overall development of student. The department reviews and revises the syllabus of entire MSW course twice in every year by calling BOS meeting.
Students are trained to develop skills in understanding needs and problems of needy people by practical participation like survey, common need assessment, concurrent field work, rural camp and study tour etc. MSW students are placed in various industries, hospital settings, government offices and NGO’s for training. In view of above due to rigors training to our students they are easily employable around the globe.